Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: An 1843 period 38-key Wheatstone English system, No 670, with all of the additional new features and showing the final stages of the progression to what may be called the "Standard" Wheatstone design. Conventional divided Ends/Action, this version has end-bolts in the centre of the sides of the action (unlike the corner positions in Instrument C-014 , CW No 612). This design has conventiona lhexagonal pans, with triangular wooden corner supports (not the previously-used "French Cradle") and square-ended nickel-tongued reeds, with the standard divided end- and action-levels. The bellows show less of the sharp folding of the previous "Bookbinder's" Style, and are of 5-folds, and have a silk-reinforced bottom-bout to bellows-frame, and have the early "Circle & Dot" bellows papers.
Concertina Summary: Charles Wheatstone No 670; Sold to a "Mr Wayne" in October 1843.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: C Wheatstone
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C104A/IMAGES/C1P0350D.JPG
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: By his Majesty's Letters Patent, C Wheatstone, Inventor, 20 Conduit Street, Regent Street, London.
System Type: 38-key English
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-016.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.