Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: C Wheatstone No 60,020. A later Dickinson Period 1970s model of a good Wheatstone's "metal-ended" 36-Key Treble English concertina. This model is a good quality Live-Oak sided "Dot and Comma” fretted, 36-Key English , No 60,020, made in the 1970s.
Concertina Summary: C Wheatstone No 60,020. A 36-Key English concertina.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper.
Maker: Wheatstone & Co., http://www.wheatstone.co.uk/ early 1970s period, after Steve Dickinson assumed ownership of the company.
Maker Links: Concertina, C Wheatstone & Co, No 60,020
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: Not in the pre-Dickinson Ledgers at the Horniman Museum.
Region of Manufacture: Stowmarket, Suffolk, UK
Main Maker's Label Wording: A late 1960s-style double-scalloped black-on-metal "Wheatstone" label is pinned to the recess in the plated ‘Dot and Comma’ right-hand frets, and reads “Wheatstone”, with the Serial Number stamped into a central un-painted rectangular area, with the labelling “Made in England” below the number area. The LH end has a similar label,
Principal Serial Number: 60,020
System Type: 36-Key Reduced-range Treble English system.
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-114.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.