Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: An 1839 period 45-key Wheatstone English system, No 349, with additional new features showing the progression to what may be called the "Standard" 48-Key layout. It has 23 keys to the RH side, and 22 Key to the LH side. The accidental keys are black-stained (but not cored) in common with later instruments. The action board's face fits FLUSH against the the bellows-frame.The reed-pan still sits on a French cradle within the bellows-frame, but has a large central hole; The note-names are still stamped upon the pan's outer face, and the grain of the rosewood veneer to the sides of the action tray is linear around the frame (Though the case and its lid have vertical graining). The fretwork ends now have an oval embouchure to the RH end, revealing the familiar oval paper "His Majesty's...." label glued upon the sub-fret pine boards. The small embouchure to LH end now reveals the serial number stamped upon the pine board. Action and pallets remain similar to earlier models, but the square-end tapered-framed reeds now slide into routed grooves within each reed chamber. The nickel reed-tongues are secured by a pair of brass screws.
Concertina Summary: Charles Wheatstone No 349
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: C Wheatstone
Maker Links: Concertina, Charles Wheatstone No 285. http://www.concertina.com/wheatstone/index.htm
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: http://www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1046/PAGES/C2P0020S.HTM Sold to J L B Dykes Esq., on 11th October 1839.
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: By his Majesty's Letters Patent, C Wheatstone, Inventor, 20 Conduit Street, Regent Street, London.
System Type: 45-key English.
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-117.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.