Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: Thomas Prowse No 3207. A basic and early 20-key anglo concertina, with the "Thomas Prowse, 13 Hanway Street, London" label. T Prowse is recorded as a Flute maker at Hanway Street in the 1850s to 1870s. The instrument may possibly have made at the George Jones workshops, and closely resembles Concertina No C-333 (Geo Jones No 5314). Mahogany ends, simple fretwork, with centrally-placed label cartouche. Original shabby paper-covered deal hexagonal, case.
Concertina Summary: Thomas Prowse No 3207. A basic and early 20-key anglo concertina, with a "Thomas Prowse, 13 Hanway Street, London" label, and similar label in lid of case.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: Thomas Prowse, though possibly made at the Louis Lachenal workshops
Maker Links: A good survey by Wes Williams of the Prowse family's various addresses and some noted instruments is at: www.concertinas.org.uk/others.htm#KeithProwse
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: "Thomas Prowse, 13 Hanway Street, London"
System Type: 20 + 1 Key Anglo system
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-255.
The Lachenal company made concertinas between 1858 and 1933.
Louis Lachenal, a Swiss engineer, started to work with Wheatstone in the early 1840s producing screws. By 1847 he was producing complete instruments for Wheatstone in his workshops. On expiry of Wheatstone's 1844 patent in 1858, Lachenal began to produce concertinas bearing his own name. He died in 1861, and the firm was then managed by his widow Elisabeth.
Elisabeth Lachenal passed on the company to a group of employees in 1872, and the company name was changed to Lachenal & Co.. In 1883 the company owners were Richard Ballinger, Louis Charrière, Thomas William Saunders, John Saunders, William Bywater Fisher, and Charles Crabb, with Charles Crabb (brother of John Crabb) retiring in that year. During the 1880s and 1890s various new concertina developments were introduced including The Maccann Duet, the Bowing Valve, the 12 sided Edeophone, and the Crane Duet, which was made by Lachenal for Crane of Liverpool. By 1907 Lachenal was completely owned by the Saunders family. During the late 1920s the company suffered economic problems, and finally closed in 1933.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.