Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: An 1846 period 48-key Amboyna-ended Wheatstone English system, No 1293, with all of the additional new features and showing the final stages of the progression to what may be called the "Standard" Wheatstone design. Conventional divided Ends/Action. This version has end-bolts in the centre of the sides of the action-frames (unlike the corner positions in Instrument C.014 , CW No 612). This design has conventionalhexagonal pans, with triangular wooden corner supports (not the previously-used "French Cradle") and square-ended nickel-tongued reeds, with the standard divided end- and action-levels. The bellows show less of the sharp folding but are still of "Bookbinder's" Style, and are of 4-folds, and have a silk-reinforced bottom-bout to bellows-frame, and have the early "Circle & Dot" bellows papers. Original straps. In fine condition. Sold on 18th Nov 1846 to George Case for Anderson Esq. A "Willm Prowse" label in the lid of the case.
Concertina Summary: Charles Wheatstone No 1293 "His Maj.." label (with the "C" under "mAj" variant). sold on 18th November 1846 to Mr Case for Anderson esq.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: C Wheatstone
Maker Links: Concertina, Charles Wheatstone No 1293 http://www.concertina.com/wheatstone/index.htm
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C104A/PAGES/C1P0660S.HTM
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: "By his Majesty's Letters Patent, C Wheatstone, Inventor, 20 Conduit Street, Regent Street, London", (with the "C" under "mAj" variant)
System Type: 48-Key Treble English system
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-030.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.