Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: C Wheatstone No 3188. A 32-Key Single Action English concertina, No 3188, with the now standard "By HER Majesty's" label, and the many new design features introduced by Louis Lachenal during his time as Manager at Wheatstone's Conduit St premises are now standard for this period, though still showing the Square-ended reeds and silk-reinforced bottom bellows bout of earlier models.A first appearance in the Collection of a simple mahogany fretwork pattern.
Concertina Summary: C Wheatstone No 3188. A 32-Key Single Action English concertina, with simple mahogany fretwork and square-ended nickel-tongued reeds.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: C Wheatstone
Maker Links: Concertina, Charles Wheatstone No 3188 http://www.concertina.com/wheatstone/index.htm
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1047/PAGES/C3P0030S.HTM - One of a batch of 12 sold on 17th Jan 1851 to "Baron's Blumberg", possibly a dealer.
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: "By her Majesty's Letters Patent, C Wheatstone, Inventor, 20 Conduit Street, Regent Street, London"
System Type: 32-Key Treble English system
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-046.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.