Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: 48-Key English system, with CW "Her Majesty's" Conduit Street label.
Silver-capped metal keys, gilt-embossed green leather bellows, circular
reed-pan label, white leather sub-fret baffles. Shown as sold, lent or hired
out seven times in the Wheatstone Ledgers:
Concertina Summary: 48-Key English system, with CW "Her Majesty's" Conduit Street label. Silver-capped metal keys, gilt-embossed green leather bellows, circular reed-pan label, white leather sub-fret baffles
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: C Wheatstone
Maker Links: Concertina, Charles Wheatstone, No 8906. http://www.concertina.com/wheatstone/index.htm
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: Shown as sold, lent or hired out seven times in the Wheatstone Ledgers: 25 Oct 1856 to Lieut Buttershaw: http://www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1050/PAGES/C6P0350S.HTM 10 May 1860, lent to Mildmay: http://www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1052/PAGES/C8P0210S.HTM 19 Jun 1860, lent to Blagrove (the noted teacher and performer): http://www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1052/PAGES/C8P0240S.HTM 27 Jul 1860, Hired to Berger: http://www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1052/PAGES/C8P0270S.HTM 04 Dec 1860, Hired to Berger (again): http://www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1052/PAGES/C8P0360S.HTM 21 Mar 1861, Lent to Ward: http://www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1052/PAGES/C8P0450S.HTM 29 Jun 1861, Sold to Weeks for 5gns as 'S/H' (second hand): http://www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1052/PAGES/C8P0520S.HTM
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: "by her Majesty's Letters Patent, C Wheatstone, Inventor, 20 Conduit Street, Regent Street, London"
System Type: Standard 48-Key Treble English system
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-064.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.