Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: C Wheatstone No 12012 A 48-Key Amboyna-ended, glass-keyed English system, No 12012, in exceptionally fine condition, with its original "By Her Majesty's.." Label. Another appearance in the Collection's Wheatstones of the 1850s/60s highly decorative, gilt-embossed, brass-inlaid design, and exhibiting fine frets, with a rare appearance of fine Amboyna-wood ends and case. Gold-plated strap metals and end-bolts. Round-ended brass reed-frames, steel reed-tongues, a large annular pan-label bearing the Wheatstone & Co address. Amboyna-veneered case, with original lock, keys, and embouchure.
Concertina Summary: C Wheatstone No 12012. A 48-Key Amboyna-ended English system, No 12012, in exceptionally fine condition, with its original "By Her Majesty's.." Label. Another appearance in the Collection's Wheatstones of the late-1850s highly decorative, gilt-embossed, brass-inlaid design, and exhibiting fine frets, with a rare appearance of fine Amboyna-wood ends and case, with machine-cut frets.The reeds are in standard round-ended brass reed-frames, and there is a large annular pan-label bearing Wheatstone & Co's address.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: C Wheatstone
Maker Links: Concertina, Charles Wheatstone No 12012 http://www.concertina.com/wheatstone/index.htm
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1052/PAGES/C8P0870S.HTM Sold to "Wilson" on 31st July 1863 for Eighteen Guineas (one of the most expensive instruments that appear in the Collection!). The link www.concertina.com/calculator/index.htm indicates that the equivalent price for this instrument in year 2000 would be £8,929.12.
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: "By her Majesty's Letters Patent, C Wheatstone, Inventor, 20 Conduit Street, Regent Street, London".
System Type: 48-Key Treble English system
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-077.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.