The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-271.

Previous Section Summary Help Next

Item Type: Concertina

Summary Labels and Serial Numbers End Frets Fingering System Straps and Holding Devices Fret Baffle Action Board Reeds and Reed Pans Bellows Case and Other


Full Description: Nickolds No 365. A basic and early 20-key anglo concertina, with the dealer's label of "Barnett Samuel and Sons, Worship Street, London". Mahogany ends, mahogany action board, mahogany hand-bars, stepped at each end, as in Rock Chidley Serial No 5647 (Instrument C-263 ). The round-end brass reeds with steel tongues, have the unusual open-sided tongue-securing cross pieces, in common usage on Nickolds instruments. Simple fretwork, with no number cartouche. Original shabby paper-covered pink paper-lined deal hexagonal, case, later heavy brass "Coffin Handle".

Concertina Summary: Nickolds, No 365. A basic and early 20-key anglo concertina, with a dealer's label of "Barnett Samuel and Sons, Worship Street, London" label, and further label of "E F Allen & sons, Royal Music Saloon, Wolverhampton" in lid of case.

Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper

Maker: Nickolds, though possibly made at the Louis Lachenal workshops

Maker Links: Wes Williams' survey of minor concertina makers has an entry about Nickolds Bros here:, and Richard Carlin's interview with Frank Butler has much information about Austin, George Jones, and other early Wheatstone craftsmen who went on to become makers see: [

Region of Manufacture: London

Main Maker's Label Wording: Dealer's label only.

System Type: 20 + 1 Key Anglo system

Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-271.

Maker Details

The Lachenal company made concertinas between 1858 and 1933.

Louis Lachenal, a Swiss engineer, started to work with Wheatstone in the early 1840s producing screws. By 1847 he was producing complete instruments for Wheatstone in his workshops. On expiry of Wheatstone's 1844 patent in 1858, Lachenal began to produce concertinas bearing his own name. He died in 1861, and the firm was then managed by his widow Elisabeth.

Elisabeth Lachenal passed on the company to a group of employees in 1872, and the company name was changed to Lachenal & Co.. In 1883 the company owners were Richard Ballinger, Louis Charrière, Thomas William Saunders, John Saunders, William Bywater Fisher, and Charles Crabb, with Charles Crabb (brother of John Crabb) retiring in that year. During the 1880s and 1890s various new concertina developments were introduced including The Maccann Duet, the Bowing Valve, the 12 sided Edeophone, and the Crane Duet, which was made by Lachenal for Crane of Liverpool. By 1907 Lachenal was completely owned by the Saunders family. During the late 1920s the company suffered economic problems, and finally closed in 1933.

Previous Section Summary Help Next

Please email comments or reports of errors to

The Concertina Museum Collection

Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams

This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.