Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: An 1842 period 48-key Wheatstone English system, No 247, (though stated in ledgers to be a "44-Key" , with additional new features showing the progression to what may be called the "Standard" Wheatstone 48-key design. This model has 4-rows of six buttons each side (not the later 48-key format). The accidental keys are black-cored (but not name-stamped) in common with earlier instruments. The key are all bushed - another later feature now appearing. On the RH, the top "B" key has been removed and its hole filled with rosewood veneer; An A# Key is inserted adjacent to the top A instead. Its end-plates are still inset into a single-depth action tray, but the action board's face fits FLUSH against the the bellows-frame;The reed-pan still sits on a French cradle within the bellows-frame, but has a central hole; There are NO note-names stamped upon the pan, and the grain of the rosewood veneer to the sides of the action tray is linear around the frame. The fretwork ends now have on oval embouchure to the RH end, revealing the familiar oval paper "His Majesty's...." label glued upon the sub-fret pine boards. The small embouchure to LH end does not reveal any number stamped upon the pine board. Action and pallets remain similar to earlier models, but the square-end tapered framed reed now slide into routed grooves within each reed chamber. The nickel reed-tongues are secured by a single rivet.
Concertina Summary: Charles Wheatstone No 247
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: C Wheatstone
Maker Links: Concertina, Charles Wheatstone No 247. http://www.concertina.com/wheatstone/index.htm
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C104A/IMAGES/C1P0130D.JPG
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: By his Majesty's Letters Patent, C Wheatstone, Inventor, 20 Conduit Street, Regent Street, London.
System Type: 48-Key English
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-009.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.