Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: A Charles Wheatstone 67-Key "Double System Duet", No 12. This rare system, with 4 columns of reeds in a new "duet" format, is known from about 5 surviving models, and has many pre-1848 features. Rosewood hand-cut frets, "by His Majesty's..." label, ("C" under "is Ma" Variant). Green leather bellows (reinforced bottom-bout), square-end nickel-tongue reeds, pine board sub-fret baffles, orginal rosewood case with key.
Concertina Summary: A Charles Wheatstone 67-Key "Double System Duet", No 12. With "by His Majesty's..." label, ("C" under "is Ma" Variant) This rare system, with 4 columns of reeds in a new "duet" format, is known from about 5 surviving models, and has many pre-1848 features.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: C Wheatstone
Maker Links: Concertina, Charles Wheatstone "Double System Duet". No 12. http://www.concertina.com/wheatstone/index.htm - more details at: www.concertina.com/double/index.htm , and a "Double " Tutor is illustrated at www.concertina.com/double/Warren-Double-Tutor.pdf .
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: These models not in Ledgers
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: An original Wheatstone label, "By His Majesty's Letters Patent, C Wheatstone, Inventor, 20 Conduit Street, Regent Street, London". ("C" under "is Ma" Variant)
Principal Serial Number: The Number "12" is inked just once, on the inner face of the action board.
System Type: A 67-Key "Double System Duet" system. system
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-100.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.